Looking to spice up your calisthenics routine? Look no further than Pelican Push Ups! This challenging exercise not only builds upper body strength, but also improves balance and coordination. In this article, we’ll show you how to do Pelican Push Ups with proper form, offer tips for making them easier or harder depending on your fitness level, and even provide some fun workout ideas that incorporate this exercise. So get ready to flap your wings and take your fitness to new heights!
Benefits of Pelican Push Ups
Pelican Push Ups might sound like a weird exercise, but trust us, they’re the real deal. Not only do they make you feel like you’re flapping your wings, but they also come with some serious benefits. Here are just a few:
- Upper body strength: Pelican Push Ups work your chest, shoulders, and triceps like no other exercise. You’ll feel the burn in all the right places and soon be able to take on any push-up challenge.
- Balance and coordination: Balancing on one arm while the other arm does all the work may sound impossible, but with practice, you’ll be a Pelican Push Up pro. You’ll improve your balance and coordination, which translates into better performance in other exercises and sports.
- Core stability: Keeping your core engaged throughout the exercise helps to stabilize your body and prevents your hips from dropping. Pelican Push Ups will give you a stronger and more defined core.
- Confidence: There’s nothing like mastering a challenging exercise to boost your confidence. Once you conquer Pelican Push Ups, you’ll feel like you can take on the world (or at least the gym).
So, whether you’re looking to build strength, improve balance, stabilize your core, or boost your confidence, Pelican Push Ups have got you covered. Plus, you’ll have a new party trick to show off to your friends.
How to Do Pelican Push Ups
Now that you know the benefits of Pelican Push Ups, it’s time to learn how to do them. Follow these steps for proper form and maximum effectiveness:
- Start in a push-up position with your hands shoulder-width apart and your feet hip-width apart.
- Shift your weight onto your left hand and lift your right hand off the ground, keeping it close to your body.
- Bend your left elbow and lower your body towards the ground, keeping your right arm close to your body.
- Push back up to the starting position using your left arm.
- Repeat on the other side by shifting your weight onto your right hand and lifting your left hand off the ground.
Sounds easy, right? But wait, there’s more! Here are some tips to make sure you’re doing it right and avoiding common mistakes:
- Keep your elbows close to your body: Flapping your elbows like a bird might seem like fun, but it’s not the proper form for Pelican Push Ups. Keep your elbows tucked in and your body straight.
- Engage your core: To maintain proper form and balance, engage your core muscles throughout the exercise. This will also help you avoid arching your back or dropping your hips.
- Start with easier variations: Pelican Push Ups can be challenging, especially if you’re new to them. Start with easier variations, such as holding a static position on one arm, and work your way up to full Pelican Push Ups.
- Don’t forget to breathe: It’s easy to hold your breath when you’re focusing on form, but remember to breathe in and out throughout the exercise.
With these tips and proper form, you’ll be flapping your wings and doing Pelican Push Ups like a pro in no time. And who knows, maybe you’ll even start to feel like a majestic bird.
Variations and Progressions
Pelican Push Ups might be challenging, but that doesn’t mean you can’t modify them to suit your fitness level. Here are some variations and progressions to try:
- Static hold: Instead of lowering yourself to the ground, hold a static position on one arm for a few seconds, then switch to the other arm. This will help you build strength and balance before attempting full Pelican Push Ups.
- Feet together: Place your feet together instead of hip-width apart to increase the difficulty and engage your core muscles even more.
- Clap: Once you’re comfortable with the basic Pelican Push Up, add a clap between each rep for an extra challenge. This will also improve your explosiveness and coordination.
- Single arm: For the ultimate challenge, try doing Pelican Push Ups on a single arm. This requires not only upper body strength but also incredible balance and coordination.
Remember to start with the easier variations and progressions before attempting the harder ones. And don’t forget to use proper form and engage your core muscles throughout the exercise.
Whether you’re a beginner or an advanced athlete, there’s a Pelican Push Up variation or progression for you. So spread your wings and give them a try!
Incorporating Pelican Push Ups To Your Workout
Now that you know how to do Pelican Push Ups and their variations, it’s time to incorporate them into your workouts. Here are some fun and challenging workout ideas that will help you take your fitness to the next level:
- Pelican Push Up Circuit: Perform a set of Pelican Push Ups, followed by a set of squats, lunges, and plank jacks. Rest for 30 seconds, then repeat for a total of 3-5 rounds. This circuit will not only work your upper body but also your lower body and core muscles.
- HIIT Routine: Add Pelican Push Ups to your high-intensity interval training (HIIT) routine. Alternate between 30 seconds of Pelican Push Ups and 30 seconds of jumping jacks or mountain climbers for a total of 5-10 rounds. This routine will improve your endurance and cardiovascular fitness.
- Strength Workout: Add Pelican Push Ups to your strength training routine. Perform 3 sets of 8-10 reps of Pelican Push Ups, followed by 3 sets of bench press, rows, and shoulder press. Rest for 1-2 minutes between sets. This workout will build your upper body strength and size.
Remember to always warm up properly before starting any workout and to use proper form throughout the exercises. And don’t forget to have fun while you’re at it! After all, fitness should be enjoyable, not a chore.
Incorporating Pelican Push Ups into your workouts will not only challenge your body but also your mind. So flap your wings, spread your feathers, and let’s get to work!
Pelican Push Ups are an excellent exercise for building upper body strength, improving balance, and taking your fitness to the next level. By following the step-by-step instructions and incorporating the variations and progressions, you’ll be able to challenge your body and achieve your fitness goals.
But it’s not just about the physical benefits. Pelican Push Ups can also be a fun and enjoyable way to work out, especially when you incorporate them into different workouts and routines. And with a bit of humor and passion, you’ll find yourself looking forward to each workout session, ready to spread your wings and soar.
So don’t be afraid to try something new and challenging. Give Pelican Push Ups a try, and see for yourself how they can transform your body and mind. After all, life is too short to stay on the ground. Let’s take flight and reach new heights together!